Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Machinima Q and A  

RSS
Dreyfusxano
(@dreyfusxano)
Trusted Member

Hey everyone.

So, this has been on my mind for a while now and I was thinking. What questions do you all have about machinima, specifically building your videos? I am the in the planning stages right now for some videos for my channel and I want to cover a few basics so that we can get our feet wet together.

Also, I eventually want to start holding some machinima challenges to stretch our collective minds. Things like a 2 min short and the winner can win some gold or something. I would love to be able to have this be a spring board for creators to collab together.

So, I will probably end up using a few questions that are burried in this forum but will always welcome new questions.

Look forward to hearing what you all have for me.

Dreyfus Xano

Posted : 14/09/2017 1:58 am
nightwatcher66
(@nightwatcher66)

What do I do when I want to have a character walk behind a character pre-existing in the recorded footage?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2017 9:08 pm
Brofessional
(@brofessional)

That would require two layers of the same video, sandwiching the modelviewer layer.

Top: Repeat of the in-game video, but with the "foreground" character isolated with a mask.

Middle: Modelviewer of character walking behind someone

Background: In-game video

As for how to do the mask, it depends on the video editing software you use. What do you have?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2017 10:04 pm
Brofessional
(@brofessional)

By the way, this is a great idea :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2017 10:14 pm
Evilmoosehead
(@evilmoosehead)

As Machinima Studio hasn't been updates since Pandaria, is there any way to export 3d environments from Wow and use them in software such as Blender or Cinema 4d?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2017 10:33 pm
Mattwo
(@mattwo)

Cstyle12 wrote:
As Machinima Studio hasn't been updates since Pandaria, is there any way to export 3d environments from Wow and use them in software such as Blender or Cinema 4d?

Honestly your best bet for now is to use ingame footage and just chroma-key the characters in. I hear Nixxiom uses a private server for his videos btw (which has sadly become a necessity if you want to set your videos in Vanilla or have an Argus-free sky in a server that beat the new wing of Tomb of Sargeras) so you might want to look into that. Don't worry, Blizzard only goes after ones publicly available to play on, they have no way of telling if you launch it on your local network.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2017 12:42 pm
Nadraven
(@nadraven)

There is a program called obj exporter that lets you export wmos (houses, order halls and so on) only downside for your usage is that you have to furnish it yourself.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2017 3:33 am
Dreyfusxano
(@dreyfusxano)
Trusted Member

So, the first question I get here is fairly easy to answer but its already been taken care of. I will mention that I am in the process of getting 3D animation software like Maya or 3DS Max so I am probably not going to be the best to answer that 2nd question.

I do want to touch a little bit on the private server thing. I am probably never going to recommend anyone try that. Any recording I do is done on the live server, and the last thing I would want anyone to do is get in trouble with Blizzard because of that to. If there was someone from Blizzard who would give us movie makers access to a private server((Like that would happen))I would be all over that.

I don't want this discussion to get off topic from machinima to so lets make sure we keep it on that to. Good questions so far, keep em up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/09/2017 4:55 am
shearx
(@shearx)

Great idea, me myself is completely new to machinima and I found it very hard to find some information about the steps in making it when I started researching two months ago. There's a lot of information but it's very scattered and if you're new it's so hard to grasp how to get started. Since the thread's not that active, even tho i think it's great that you made it, please share some problems you've encountered along the way and how you've solved them.

I just started a 3D-animation and visualization program on university so I was trying to find information about the process and found a guide from Hurricane (saved my life). This is extremely basic but to clarify for people that wanna jump into machinimamaking and finds this thread later on I've written down a few lines that took me a long time to realise on my own. These are by no means a must but how I'll approach it later on.

Software and process

Prepwork:

Synopsis (short summary of the story to see if it works)

Manus (keep track on dialogues, night/day, in/out scenes)

Storyboard (small pictures, quick visualisation of angles, who's in the scene etc. I'm a horrible drawer but it's hard to see everything mentaly)

Assets:

In-game fotage or OBJ exporter (could be a bit frustrating) for environments.

WoW modelviewer for characters, objects etc.

Video recorder: Fraps, bandicam etc

From here you can jump straight down to editing software depending on what the end goal is

3D-software: For animation, scenebuilding and lighting the scene if exporting environments from OBJ exporter (Maya, 3ds max, blender)

Photoshop: Polish textures if needed, edit 2D assets like mountains for backgrounds.

After Effect: applying visual effects and and merge all together to an epic scene.

Sound: There are a few sites like Freesound that provides alot of ambient sounds etc for the movies. (Audacity, Pro tools etc for audio editing)

Editing software: Building it all together (Vegas, Premiere pro, Avid media composer).

Can be found at google: "Hurricane wow machinima guide", a reddit-thread with additional information.

Sorry for the long post

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2017 10:46 pm
shearx
(@shearx)

Q: At the moment I'm looking at exporting characters in OBJ into Maya (From my limited experience the FBX files screw up the models I'm trying to import), Is there any way to avoid the rigging process, if not are there any pitfalls I should be aware about or some kind of step by step go to that will ease up the process along the way?

Best regards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2017 1:33 pm
Embu
 Embu
(@embu)
Member Admin

If you could show how grouping two animations together, it would be very cool. I'm looking for this kind of emotes that enable to do so but nothing found until now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2017 4:27 am
Share:
en_USEnglish
fr_FRFrançais en_USEnglish